Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Very First Post!

So I finally took the plunge and created a blog. Hopefully I will be able to work out some theories and perhaps even some personal issues through this thing! See "About the Blog" for basic info.

My politics (as this will be the largest portion of posts) can be boiled down to one pithy little statement: I believe you have the freedom to do whatever the heck you want up until the point that your freedom infringes on someone else's freedom to do the same. That's it! I consider myself a Conservative Libertarian (yes, I chose that word to differentiate myself from those of the Civil variety), and I generally vote Republican. In no way, shape, or form am I a party loyalist though. Please feel free, and I genuinely mean this, to call me out when I contradict myself or my beliefs!

I am supremely interested in the Supreme Court. Constitutional Law is what I want to pursue as a career and it is a hobby. I monitor all current cases before the Court and will often comment on these. I tend to a rationalistic originalist interpretation of the Constitution. I believe that we should interpret the document in the way that the founders either wrote it or would have written it. This means that if an issue arises that isn't explicitly mentioned in the document, then we need to interpret the law in a way that is rational with the ideals, beliefs, and writings of our Founding Fathers. This would mean, for example, that Miranda is in, but Roe is out!

My sports are primarily college football, hockey, and the NFL. Secondary sports I follow are the NBA, college basketball, and the MLB. My teams are: Oklahoma Sooners (football only really, I don't care much for their basketball team), Stanford Cardinal (in any and all sports, what can I say, I am an alumnus), the Dallas Cowboys, the Dallas Stars, the Orlando Magic, and the Texas Rangers. Of course I will post on any issue I find interesting in any and all sports!

I love video games and play them whenever my schedule, wife, and child allow! I play primarily NCAA football, Call of Duty, and a variety of action-RPGs. I will sometimes blog about my gaming activities, but it will be minimal.

One Caveat: I am a committed Christian and I am sure that will taint many of my views! That is one thing that will be off-limits here. I am fine if my readers (assuming there will be any of course) don't share my religious views, in fact I expect many of them won't. And I don't have any problem with someone explaining something from their religious viewpoint, or lack thereof. The one thing that I will not allow is any disparaging of my religion. That's pretty much the only thing that will draw my ire.

That's the basics, I hope we can learn something together!

1 comment:

  1. I like that you are "supremely interested in the Supreme court" :) cute

    ReplyDelete